Size: 12,000 square feet
Status: Completed 2008
Program: Adaptive reuse of historic landmark building into sustainable corporate headquarters
Private Foundation Headquarters
City of Milwaukee Historic Landmark. Built in 1852, the James S. Brown Double House was originally designed as two distinct dwellings with paired entrances. The solid masonry Federal Style structure then served for many decades as a high-end women’s clothing store featuring a single center entrance.
A private philanthropic organization with historic family ties to the building hired TKWA to restore the exterior building shell and adapt the interior to meet the office space needs of its staff. While many interior historic features had been removed over the years, TKWA preserved those that remained, including the main decorative staircase, original windows, and marble fireplace mantels. The exterior was largely intact, however, much material restoration / conservation was necessary.