Size: 39,000 square feet
Status: Completed 2011
Institute of Beauty and Wellness
Founded in 1994, The Institute of Beauty and Wellness provides professional training and certification for students seeking careers in cosmetology, esthiology, massage therapy, and related fields. As part of a long-term expansion plan the Institute purchased a 1911 five-story brick industrial warehouse building located in the rapidly developing historic Third Ward area near downtown Milwaukee.
Originally slated for conversion to condominiums the warehouse building interior had been stripped to bare walls and framing. TKWA was hired to assist the Institute with program development for their new school and to provide architecture and interior design services for an interior build-out of the space.
The lower basement level was converted to a student lounge with lockers and related support spaces. The first and second levels comprise the primary public spaces. Although most of the building was left to retain its original raw, industrial character the second floor spa was given a more refined aesthetic. The third and fourth floors were organized into flexible classroom spaces plus a multi-purpose auditorium room suitable for fashion shows and other public events.
The classrooms were designed to support “Learner-Centered” creative and activity-based instruction. Additional Wellness programs, such as Yoga and Pilates, are also scheduled in each class. The fifth floor of the building was reserved for private Institute of Beauty and Wellness offices.