Size: 20,000 square feet
Status: Completed 2008
Program: LEED Gold addition to Frank Lloyd Wright-designed National Historic Landmark
First Unitarian Society Meeting House Addition
2011 AIA COTE Top Ten Green Projects Award. The First Unitarian Society has completed a major new addition to its Frank Lloyd Wright-designed National Historic Landmark. Built in 1951, the original Meeting House has been hailed as one of the world’s most innovative examples of church architecture.
As stewards of this historic building, the congregation wished to maintain the integrity of Wright’s original design, provide space for expanded daily needs, and align construction with its deeply held environmental values. The addition includes a 500-seat auditorium, plus office and meeting space, kitchen, fellowship, and music rehearsal space.
The completed addition reflects a contemporary expression of Wright’s idea of an Organic Architecture. Together, the new and the old create a coherent whole that is in harmony with its surroundings and the environment.