The TKWA-designed First Unitarian Society Meeting House addition has achieved a LEED Gold rating from the United States Green Building Council. It is the first LEED Gold religious facility in Wisconsin.
The new facility is a sensitive addition to the historic Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Meeting House. Commissioned by the First Unitarian Society of Madison and completed in 1951, the original Meeting House is recognized as one of the world’s most innovative examples of church architecture. In 1960 the American Institute of Architects designated it as one of seventeen buildings to be retained as an example of Wright’s contribution to American culture. In 2004 it was declared a National Historic Landmark by the National Park Service.
The 20,000 square foot TKWA-designed addition (see project page) includes a 500-seat auditorium which triples existing campus seating capacity, plus additional office, fellowship, and meeting space, an expanded kitchen, and music rehearsal space.